Lan-Szu Chou, PhD
Food Microbiology, Microbial Physiology, Molecular Genetics, Molecular Diagnostics, Next Generation Sequencing
1997-2001, PhD in Microbial Physiology, Utah State University, Logan, UT
1991-1997, MS in Nutrition and Food Sciences, Utah State University, Logan, UT
1987-1990, BS in Plant Pathology and Entomology, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
2011-Present, Associate Professor, National Chiayi University)
2002-2011, Principal Investigator, ARUP Laboratories, Salt Lake City, UT
2001-2002, Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Microbial Rapid Detection and Physiology, Utah State University, Logan, UT
Advanced Molecular Diagnostics, Special Topics on Molecular Diagnostics, Genomic Science, Microbial Biotechnology, Microbial Fermentation, Biology, Biotechnology and Labs
1. Dames S, Chou LS, Xiao Y, Wayman T, Stocks J, Singleton M, Eilbeck K, Mao R. 2013. The development of next-generation sequencing assays for the mitochondrial genome and 108 nuclear genes associated with mitochondrial disorders. J Mol Diagn. 15(4):526-34.
2. Wooderchak-Donahue W, Vaughn C, Chou LS, Lewis T, Sumner K, Procter M, Gedge F, Bayrak-Toydemir P, Lyon E, Pont-Kingdon G. 2011. Verification of Multiplex Ligation-Dependent Probe Amplification Probes in the Absence of Positive Sample. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers. 15(11):793-9.
3. Svensson A*, Chou LS*, Meadows C, Miller C, Sumner K, Mao R, and Lyon E. 2011. Implementation of a cost-effective unlabeled probe high-resolution melting assay for genotyping of the Factor V Leiden. Genetic Testing and Molecular Biomarkers. 15(4):207-13.
4. Chou LS, Liu CS J, Boese B, Zhang X, and Mao R. 2010. DNA sequence capture and enrichment by microarray followed by next generation sequencing for targeted re-sequencing: neurofibromatosis type 1 gene as a model. Clin Chem. 56(1):62-72.
5. Mao R and Chou LS. 2010. Methylation analysis by restriction endonuclease digestion and real-time PCR. Clin Chem. 56(7):1050-1052.
6. Svensson A, Chou LS, Miller C, Robles JA, Swensen JJ, Voelkerding KV, Mao R, and Lyon E. 2010. Detection of large rearrangements in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator gene by multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification assay when sequencing fails to detect two disease-causing mutations. Genetic Testing and Molecular Biomarkers. 14(2):171-174.
7. Chou LS, Lyon E, and Mao R. Molecular diagnosis utility of multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification. 2008. Expert Opinion on Medical Diagnostics. 2(4):373-385.
8. Curry CJ, Mao R, Aston E, Mongia SK, Treisman T, Procter M, Chou LS, Whitby H, South ST, and Brothman AR. 2008. Homozygous deletions of a copy number change detected by array CGH: a new cause for mental retardation? Am J Med Genet A. 146A (15):1903-1910.
9. Pont-Kingdon G, Chou LS, Damjanovich K, Sumner K, Herrmann M, Erali M, and Lyon E. 2007. Multiplex genotyping by melting analysis of loci-spanning probes: beta-globin as an example. BioTechniques. 42(2):193-7.
10. Gedge F, McDonald J, Phansalkar A, Chou LS, Calderon F, Mao R, Lyon E, Bayrak-Toydemir P. 2007. Clinical and analytical sensitivities in hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia testing and a report of de novo mutations. J Mol Diagn. 9(2):258-65.
11. Procter M, Chou LS, Tang W, and Mao R. 2006. Molecular diagnosis of Prader-Willi Syndrome and Angelman Syndrome by methylation specific melting analysis and methylation-specific multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification. Clin Chem. 52:1276-1283.
12. Bayrak-Toydemir P, McDonald J, Markewitz B, Lewin S, Miller F, Chou LS, Gedge F, Tang W, Coon H, and Mao R. 2006. Genotype-phenotype correlation in hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia: mutations and manifestations. American Journal of Medical Genetics. 140A (5):463-470.
13. Chou LS, Meadows C, Wittwer CT, and Lyon E. 2005. Unlabeled oligonucleotide probes modified with locked nucleic acids for improved mismatch discrimination in genotyping by melting analysis. BioTechniques. (39):644-650.
14. Chou LS, Lyon E, and Wittwer CT. 2005. A comparison of high-resolution melting analysis to denaturing high performance liquid chromatography for mutation scanning: cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator gene as a model. Am J Clin Pathology. 124:330-338.
15. Chou LS, Gedge F, and Lyon E. 2005. Complete gene scanning by temperature gradient capillary electrophoresis using the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator gene as a model. J Mol Diagn. 7:111-120.
16. Xie Y, Chou LS, Cutler A, and Weimer B. 2004. DNA microarray profiling of Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis IL1403 gene expression during environmental stress. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 70:6738-6747.
17. Chou LS, Weimer BC, and Cutler R. 2001. Relationship of arginine and lactose use by Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis ML3. International Dairy Journal. 11:253-258.
18. Chou LS, and Weimer BC. 1999. Isolation and characterization of acid- and bile-tolerant isolates from strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus. Journal of Dairy Science. 82:23-31.
19. Stuart MR, Chou LS, and Weimer BC. 1999. Influence of carbohydrate starvation and arginine on culturability and amino acid utilization of Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 65: 665-673.
1. Chou LS and Mao R. Targeted Exome Re-sequencing: Comparative Analysis of Two Sample Enrichment Processes by Sequence Capture Microarray and Long-Range PCR Followed by Next Generation Sequencing (NGS). Invited speaker. CHI Third Annual Next Generation Sequencing meeting, San Diego, CA, March 2009.
2. Chou LS and Mao R. Targeted “Exome” sequencing of the NF1 (Neurofibromatosis Type 1) gene: sequence capture by a high-density oligonucleotide microarray followed by next generation sequencing (NGS). ASHG annual meeting, Philadelphia, PA, November. 2008.
3. Chou LS, Voelkerding K, and Lyon E. Comparative sequence analysis by Sanger sequencing and Roche/454 GS FLX system: CFTR gene as a model. Invited speaker. Roche corporate workshop. AMP annual meeting, Los Angeles, CA, November 2007.
4. Chou LS, Sumner K, and Lyon E. A practical approach: multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification (MLPA) analysis of deletions/duplications in CFTR gene using whole genome amplification (WGA). ASHG annual meeting, San Diego, CA, October. 2007.
5. Weimer B, Chen D, Chou LS, Xie Y, and Ganesan B. Proteomic shift to arginine metabolism during carbon starvation in Lactococcus lactis. The 55th annual meeting of American Society for Mass Spectrometry (ASMS) in Indianapolis, Indiana, June 2007.
6. Chou LS, Reed G, Wittwer CT, and Lyon E. Determination of RhD zygosity using fluorescence resonance energy transfer (FRET) probes and high-resolution multiplexed amplicon melting analysis. AMP annual meeting, Orlando, FL, November 2006.
7. Chou LS, Bayrak-Toydemir P, Mao R, Lyon E. Detection of genomic rearrangements using multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification (MLPA). AMP annual meeting, Scottsdale, AZ, November 2005.
8. Chou LS, Lyon A, Meadows C, Wittwer CT, and Lyon E. Application: use of unlabeled oligonucleotide probe in molecular diagnostics. AACC CoolTools meeting, San Diego, CA, November 2004.
9. Chou LS, Gedge F, and Lyon E. Use of temperature gradient capillary electrophoresis (TGCE) for complete scanning of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) gene. ASHG annual meeting, Los Angeles, CA, November 2003.
10. Chou LS and Lyon E. High-resolution mutation scanning of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) gene. AMP annual meeting, Orlando, FL, November 2003
11. Chou LS, and Weimer BC. Analysis of the arginine deiminase pathway gene cluster in Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis ML3. ASM annual meeting, Los Angeles, CA, May 2000.
12. Chou LS, and Weimer BC. Utilization of arginine in response to carbohydrate limitation in Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis ML3. Platform presentation. International Dairy Federation (IDF) Symposium: Cheese Ripening and Technology, Banff, Canada, March 2000.
13. Chou LS, and Weimer BC. Molecular characterization of the arginine deiminase pathway in relationship to starvation stress response in lactococci. Federation of European Microbiological Society (FEMS) meeting, Veldhoven, Netherlands, September 1999
14. Stuart MR, Weimer BC, and Chou LS. Metabolic response of Lactococcus lactis to carbohydrate starvation. Federation of European Microbiological Society (FEMS) meeting, Veldhoven, Netherlands, September 1999
15. Weimer BC and Chou LS. Carbohydrate starvation and survival of lactococci during extended incubation. Federation of European Microbiological Society (FEMS) meeting, Veldhoven, Netherlands, August 1996
16. Chou LS, and Weimer BC. Influence of carbohydrate starvation and arginine metabolism on viability in lactococci. ADSA annual meeting, Covalles, Oregon, June 1996
17. Chou LS, Beer C, and Weimer BC. Influence of carbohydrate starvation on arginine metabolism in lactococci. Platform presentation. Local branch ASM meeting, Logan, UT, April 1996
18. Chou LS, and Weimer BC. Selection and biochemical characterization of acid- and bile-tolerant strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus. Platform presentation. The intermountain branch ASM meeting, Idaho State University, April 1995
19. Weimer, BC, Chou LS, and Broadbent JR. Protein expression in acid tolerant Lactobacillus acidophilus mutants. International Dairy Lactic Acid Bacteria Conference in Palmerston North, New Zealand, 1995
20. Chou LS, and Weimer BC. Characteristics of Lactobacillus acidophilus: Bile salt hydrolase activity of acid- and bile-tolerant mutants. ASM annual meeting, Las Vegas, NV, June 1994
21. Chou LS, and Weimer BC. Isolation of acid- and bile-tolerant mutants from Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum. ADSA annual meeting, College Park, Maryland, June 1993.
1. Weimer B, Xie Y, Chou LS, Cutler A. 2004. Gene expression arrays in food, p. 333-343. In J. L. Barredo (ed.), Microbial products and biotransformation. Humana Press, Totowa, NJ.
2. Lyon E and Chou LS. 2004. Review: Mutation scanning: technologies and issues for clinical laboratories. ADVANCE for Medical Laboratory Professionals. 16(1): 24-26.
3. Chou LS. 2001. The arginine deiminase pathway in lactococci: physiological role and molecular characterization. Ph.D. Dissertation.
4. Chou LS. 1997. Isolation and biochemical characterization of acid- and bile-tolerant strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum. Master of Science Thesis
Association of Molecular Pathology (AMP)
American Association of Clinical Chemistry (AACC)
American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG)
Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
American Dairy Science Association (ADSA)
American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
Utah Academy of Sciences, Art & Letter