Amended 11 August 2003
These Enforcement Rules are adopted under Article 25 of the Teacher Education Act ("the Act").
When teacher education universities carry out combined planning of elementary-secondary school teaching subject areas under Article 6, paragraph 2, of the Act, the implementation methods and substance of the education concentration courses, education practicum, and teacher certification shall be finalized by the central competent authority after review and passage by the teacher education review committee.
Terms used in Article 7, paragraph 2, of the Act are defined as follows:
- ordinary curriculum: the common curriculum required of students.
- specialized courses: courses in specialized competencies to prepare teachers to teach particular subjects, disciplines, or specialties.
- education concentration courses: education credit courses to develop educational competencies required of teachers according to teaching subject areas.
- education practicum: a half-year full-time education practicum for teacher development comprising a teaching internship, "homeroom" teaching (general class affairs) supervision, administrative work practice, and study and training activities.
The education concentration courses referred to in subparagraph 3 of the preceding paragraph and the education practicum referred to in subparagraph 4 thereof are collectively termed the "education studies program."
Students enrolled in pre-service teacher education courses under Article 8 and Article 9, paragraphs 1 to 3, of the Act may take the half-year education practicum only after meeting one of the following requirements:
- Have attained eligibility to graduate as provided in the University Act, and have completed the ordinary curriculum, specialized courses, and education concentration courses.
- Have obtained a bachelor's degree and be currently enrolled in a master's or doctoral program, and have completed the ordinary curriculum, specialized courses, and education concentration courses, and have completed the credits required to graduate from the master's or doctoral program.
- After graduating from university, have completed the ordinary curriculum, specialized courses, and education concentration courses in accordance with Article 9, paragraph 3.
Half-year education practicums under Article 8, Article 9, paragraph 3, and Article 10, paragraph 1, of the Act shall last from each August until January of the following year, or from February until July; the dates thereof shall be determined by the individual teacher education universities.
Students enrolled in pre-service teacher education courses under Article 8, and Article 9, paragraphs 1 and 2, of the Act who have attained eligibility to graduate as provided in the University Act may proceed to graduate without continuing to take pre-service teacher education courses.
A program in which a teacher education university recruits university graduates to enroll in pre-service teacher education courses as specified in Article 9, paragraph 3, of the Act is termed a "post-graduate education credit program."
Students falling under the preceding two paragraphs who have already completed the ordinary curriculum, specialized courses, and education concentration courses but have not undertaken an education practicum may voluntarily apply to a teacher education university to undertake a half-year education practicum. Those who perform satisfactorily shall be issued a certificate of completion of pre-service teacher education by that teacher education university.
A person who has obtained a secondary school subject teaching certificate under Article 6 of the Act and has completed specialized courses in another teaching subject, discipline, or specialty under Article 11, paragraph 3, of the Act, shall be issued a certificate of specialized course teaching credentials and a statement of specialized course credit by that teacher education university.
A person meeting the criteria in the preceding paragraph is not required to take the half-year full-time practicum. Teacher education universities shall draw up rosters of such persons and submit them to the central competent authority for issuance of teaching certificates.
Recognition of status as schools in remote or special districts as referred to in Article 13, paragraph 1, shall be determined by the individual competent authorities at each level.
Practicum and employment placement services units referred to in Article 15, paragraph 1, of the Act shall give appropriate guidance to graduates, and set up employment information and consultancy resources and compile employment materials for graduates.
The central competent authority may coordinate with teacher education universities to jointly demarcate service regions for the provision of assistance services to local schools.
A teacher education university shall choose schools at the senior high school level and below, kindergartens, and special education schools (or classes) with which to hold education practicums ("education practicum institutions"). After jointly negotiating and signing a practicum contract, they shall cooperatively hold full-time education practicums under Article 16 of the Act.
A teacher education university shall adopt implementation rules for education practicums. The content thereof shall include the following matters:
- Principles for selecting teacher education university internship supervisors, education practicum institutions, and [practicum institution] internship supervisors.
- Internship supervision methods, number of students assigned to each internship supervisor [from the teacher education university], number of students assigned to each internship supervisor [from the practicum institution], internship plan content, education practicum matters, items covered and methods employed in internship evaluations, and the time to be spent on internships.
- Number of hours students will spend teaching per week during the internship, their rights and obligations, and internship contracts.
- Education practicum performance evaluation and the handling of unsatisfactory (failing) performance.
- Other matters related to the implementation of education practicums.
The education practicum performance evaluation shall include teaching demonstration performance. The evaluation will be conducted jointly by the teacher education university and the education practicum institution, with each contributing 50 percent of the score.
A teacher education university holding a half-year education practicum may collect from students, under Article 18 of the Act, an education practicum supervision fee equivalent to the fee for four academic credits.
The awarding of degrees or issuance of credit certificates for various kinds of training by in-service teacher training units established by teacher education universities under Article 19, paragraph 2, of the Act shall be governed by applicable provisions of the Act, and also by applicable provisions of the University Act and the Degree Conferral Act.
These Enforcement Rules shall enter into force from 1 August 2003.
Note: This Law is enacted in Chinese, which shall prevail in case of any discrepancy between the English translation and the Chinese original.