▋National Chiayi University Library
Nation al Chiayi University (NCYU) was formed in February 2000 by merging the National Chiayi Institute of Technology (NCIT) and National Chiayi TeachersCollege (NCTC). A library is available on each of the four campuses to offer teachers and students with teaching, research,information, and humanity culture development needs. Books and E-Resources are given the same level of importance in the library. There are resourceful books, periodicals, audiovisual data, E-Resource, and tens of Chinese/English E-Database. Teachers and students are not limited by time and space as they are able to access various databases through the internet or campus internet. In order to meet teaching requirements, the library participated in local and overseas interlibrary loans. For data collections not found in our library, National library technical collaboration organizations shall request local colleges,universities, and academic institutions for such data in photocopy. Overseas data may be obtained with the assistance of National Science Council. Meanwhile, Changhua-Yunline-Chiayi colleges and universes, national vocational colleges, Teachers normal colleges, National Taiwan University, National Cheng Kung University, Hsing-Kuo College of Management shall sign the interlibrary loan contract. Teachers and students in these schools may utilize library collections and share resources.
At the time of Chiayi Institute of Agriculture establishment in 1919, book purchase had already been underway. In 1921, a library named “Chiayi Institute of Agriculture Library” was officially established. By1945, following school reform, the library was renamed Taiwan Chiayi Vocational School of Agriculture. In July 1965, the school was promoted into a college of agriculture and the library was renamed “Taiwan Chiayi College of Agriculture Library.” At the time, the library was located at the student activity center in downtown area. It was a wooden house that measured over 120pins in area with over 3,000 f book collections. In 1971, Lantan Campus expanded and setup a branch library. Later, due to school developments and increase in student No. and book collections, the old building could no longer accommodate the needs. On January 15th, 1977, the library was transferred to the 3F of Ming-De Building, which measured 192pins. In 1981, our school became a public school, and the library was renamed “National Chiayi College of Agriculture Library.” In conjunction with campus site transfer, thislibrary and its branch library merged and transferred to the eastern side of Chung Cheng Building on Lantan Campus bedside the green hills and clear waters.
In July 1997, our school was promoted into an institute of technology. The library was therefore renamed "National Chiayi Institute of Technology Library." In February 2000, National Chiayi University was established and our library was renamed “National Chiayi University Library.” The library occupies three floors of the administration building at the eastern side with a total floor area of 3,960 square meters. The library collections focus on science and engineering and natural science. In 2000, new book information building planning was underway in response to the establishment of Chiayi University. On June 11th,2006, it was inaugurated. It is a multiplex library occupying 5 floors and a basement floor with the total floor area of 24,926 square meters. There are 1,000 reading seats and an estimated 1 million books is expected to be accommodated. The Computer Center (1F-3F) located at the eastern side of the building occupies a total floor area of 3,455 square meters.
Established in 1957, the former Teachers College Library was expanded into a 4-floor building that housed the library following the 1966 reform. In 1987, it was promoted into Teachers Normal College. The old school site was small so it was transferred to Minsyong. By 1992m the new campus was completed. The new library was also inaugurated at about the same time. In Augusts the same year, the library was transferred and in November,it was officially open for use. In February, 2000, National Chiayi University was established. The library was renamed “National Chiayi University Library-Minsyong Library.” The entire library measures 8,948.78 square meters in area. It is a 5-floor independent building with 500 reading seats. The library collections focus on education, humanity, culture, and art related information. The library floor plan houses: 1F Children reading area and office area, 2F reference area, and periodicals area; 3F and 4F Chinese and w
After the establishment of Hsing-Kuo College of Management in September, 2000, Linsen Campus Library was setup. In February, 2006, the college of management as transferred to Sinmin campus and the Sinmin Campus Library was officially open for use. In November, 2006, it was renamed Sinmin Library after passing administration board review. Sinmin Library is located on Rm 215 and 216, 2F of College of Management Building B. It measures approx. 1,071 square meters. Periodicals area, reference area, book bank area, computer search area, self-study area, discussion room, office area, and circulation front desk are available inside the library. There are 136 reading seats. Library collection focuses on management and commerce books. The library is under active development at present.
In 1957, the library was setup in the name of Chiayi Teachers Junior College, and Chiayi Teachers College Library at the time of Chiayi Teachers Normal College establishment. After Minsyong Campus was completed in 1992, the library and its collections were transferred to Minsyong Library. In September, 2000 following the teacher and student needs of the college of management, graduate schools of education colleges, and Dept. for further studies, Linsen Library was reopen for use. The library collection focuses on commerce and education books. In September, 2001, it was renovated and library collection was expanded. Computer search equipments were also purchased. In February, 2006, The college of management was transferred to Sinmin Campus and Sinmin Library was setup. The Library collections of Linsen Library are merely education related books. Its main functions are to provide teachers and students of graduate schools and Dept. of further studies on Linsen Campus with borrow/return interlibrary loan, data search, and other general circulation service operations. In the future, it shall develop toward goals of creating a quiet and comfortable reading space; promote more convenient circulation service and quality.