I. Developing Goals and Focuses
Closely consolidating the two fields of "Humanity" and "Arts" into a college, the university has created a unique scene among the universities in the country. Established on 2000, this unique College of Humanities and Arts has made efforts to achieve the ultimate goal, founding "the society of Civilized Silicon Island," and both emphasizing on theory and practice, actively makes efforts in teaching, researching and service. II. Future Development
With the excellent base led by ex-dean, Dr. Yu Yuh-chao, the College will keep moving actively. Especially, facing the facts that the severe competition among university students all around the world, that the financial shortage in university, and that the coming of university evaluation for aids from MOE, the College of Humanities and Arts has to progress on research, teaching, service, and administration affairs; therefore, the College would work out its potential to face various challenges and achieve it goals in academic fields.
A. Organization Development
The College will apply for establishment and integration of PhD programs in every field, and the establishment of Master programs and departments. Presently, the College includes the Graduate Institute of Visual Arts, Master of Chinese Literatures, Master of History and Geography, and Master of Foreign Languages; in the future, the College will establish PhD program of Humanities and Arts, the Graduate Institute of Music and Performance Arts, the Graduate Institute of Children Drama, the Graduate Institute of Digital Art Education, the Graduate Institute of Taiwanese Culture, the PhD program of Chinese Literatures, the PhD program of Visual Arts, the PhD program of History and Geography, the PhD program of Foreign Languages, the Department of Drama, the Department of History, and the Department of Geography (divided form the Department of History and Geography.)
B. The quality and quantity of Researches
1. The College would progress the academic researches, making exact interaction nationally and internationally, building excellent academic features, to progress the academic status of the College. (Including the implementation of various project researches, project proposals, academic lectures, symposiums, visual exhibitions, musical concerts, guest lectures, international students exchange, and professional English courses in different departments, and other projects.) The College and its departments have held various academic conferences and symposiums to progress academic interactions, including “The Conference of Chinese Novels and Theatre Music” from the Department of Chinese Literatures, “The Conference of History, Geography, and Vicissitudes” from the Department of History and Geography, “Cross-Strait Conference on English Teaching” from the Department of Foreign Languages, “Conference of Visual Arts and Art Education” from the Department of Fine Arts, and “International Wind Music Conference” from the Musical Department. In addition, the College has established “the award for Excellent Research Papers from Students,” and encourages students to read at least 100 recommended books before graduation, to progress the research atmosphere in the College.
2. In order to progress the College’s academic achievements, the College will strengthen organizing research teams within departments, cross departments, and even cross schools, making long-tern research on top issues and reporting the research regularly. Presently, the College has implement the integration of Taiwanese Culture Researches; since 2001, the College has implemented actively on the integrating research projects of “The Curriculum Development of Taiwanese Culture Researches,” and this project has gain the full scholarship from the Ministration Of Education (M.O.E) for three continuing years. The five departments have co-operated the five subfields under this project, Taiwanese Arts and Culture, Taiwanese Literature and History, the Transmittal and Appreciation of Traditional Taiwanese Music, Living Cultural Space in Taiwan, and the cross-cultural inspection on Taiwanese Culture. In the future, the College will keep researching actively on the project, and will establish “the Graduate Institute of Taiwanese Culture” in the near future.
3. All staffs in the College are encouraged for further study, making researches, and up-grading, and the College will employ excellent teachers to solidify the teaching team.
4. The College will work hard to progress the quality of the College’s publications, and gain the certificate from National Science Council Journal or other academic evaluation. The College has published “Journal of Humanity and Arts” at the beginning of its establishment, to encourage all the staffs to publish their research papers, and to welcome research papers out of the school as well. The journal has made great effects on progressing the College’s academic status, and had been certificated by the authority in the nation. From the fifth volume (2005), the journal will be generated into “Journal of Research in Humanities” and “Journal of Research in Arts,” to make it professional and international.
C. The Quality of Teaching
1. The College would encourage the teachers to progress, make research and innovate on their teaching to up-grade its quality. In addition, we would develop both technical and civil teaching materials, teaching methods and evaluation systems to set a model among the universities all around the country.
2. The College would encourage teachers to integrate new ideas into their teaching materials, and to publish professional text books for university use.
3. The College would implement the humanity education and aesthetic education in the university. This project would practice from the education and research within the College, cultivating into the culture in the whole campus, publishing professional publication, and then lifting the culture level in the nation.
4. The College would keep implementing creativity education, and focus on the exploring and implement of “Creatoloty.” We believe that “Creatology” would be the basis for improving researches and competition in the future. Therefore, the College has held “Creativity Development Symposium” for twice, helping all the staffs to explore and apply creativity, and “Creativity Speeches,” inviting experts on creativity education.
D. Service and Extension
1. The College would strengthen the interaction with the community and other educational organization.
2. The College would carry out the consulting and coordinate research on humanity and art education from kindergartens to senior high schools.
3. The College would progress the professional service to the community, playing as the role of councilor or helper to other educational organizations on cultural activities, and opening the exhibition to the community.
4. The College has established Humanities and Arts Center, improving the service on humanities and arts. The Center was established on 2001; its goal is to plan and provide academic services on humanities and arts. The center has helped Chia-Yi Culture Center an integrative artistic exhibition which is directed by MOE. Keeping the belief of feeding backing and serving the community, the Center will keep on doing the best to implement other academic activities.
E. Administration and Council
1. The College will set a complete system for administrational feed back and evaluation, including self-evaluation and efficiency improvement, to provide more complete service.
2. The College would protect and improve the original harmonious and respect atmosphere for working and studying in the College. We would establish smooth and effective communicating lines among teachers, students and other administration staffs, holding meetings and conferences within the college, the department, and the class, emphasizing the function of office hours, hoping to progress the consulting in the College.