(Photographed with wife Finny in Shodoshima, Japan, 2018)
Robin Yih-Yuan Chiou, Ph. D.
Distinguished Chair Professor
Department of Food Science
College of Life Sciences
National Chiayi University
Tel: 886-5-2717613; Fax: 886-5-2775524
Dr. Chiou, Yih-Yuan (Robin), Distinguished Chair Professor
Department of Food Science, College of Life Sciences
National Chiayi University
300 University Road, Chiayi 60005, Taiwan, ROC
Tel: 8865-2717613; Fax: 8865-2775524; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
BS in Soil Science, National Chungshin University, 1975
MS in Agricultural Chemistry, National Taiwan University, 1977
Ph. D. in Food Science, University of Georgia, USA, 1985.
Instructor, Associate Professor and Professor with Department of Food Science since 1977, President of National Chiayi University (2012.2 – 2018.1) and currently a Distinguished Chair Professor with Department of Food Science, College of Life Sciences, National Chiayi University.
Academic expertise and current research interests:
R&D of Functional Foods, Dietary Supplements and Nutraceuticals; Mass Production of Bio-products, Purification, Identification and Biological Activity Characterization of Bioactive Compounds; Applied Microbiology and Food Fermentation; Peanut Physiology, Biochemistry and Processing; R&D of Plant Second Metabolites; Sabbatical and Visiting Professor with Food Safety Center, University of Georgia (USA) in 2002 and with Institute of Natural Medicine, University of Toyama (Japan) in 2010 .
Outstanding Research Award of National Science Council, ROC (1990).
Outstanding Research Award of National Science Council, ROC (1992).
Outstanding Research Award of National Science Council, ROC (1994).
Distinguished Researcher Award of National Science Council, ROC (1997).
Outstanding and Distinguished Researcher Award of National Science Council, ROC (2002).
Research Award of Chinese Agricultural Chemistry Society, ROC (1994).
Ms. Giang Shyu-Lian-Zein Research Award of Chinese Institute of Food Science and Technology (1989)
Academic Recognition Award of Chinese Institute of Food Science and Technology, Taiwan, ROC (1997)
Professor Stephen S. Chang's Outstanding Achievement in Food Science and Technology Award of Taiwan Association of Food Science and Technology (2009).
The Seventh National Innovation Award of Institute for Biotechnology and Medicine Industry (2010)
Outstanding Teacher Award of Ministry of Education, ROC (1990).
Outstanding Research Award of National Chiayi University (2005).
Distinguished Professor (Whole-life Recognized Honor), National Chiayi University (2011).
Fellow, American Peanut Research and Education Society (APRES) (2012).
Distinguished Chair Professor, National Chiayi University (Since 2018.5)
Publications in English in the recent 5 years since 2015 ：
（Ａ） REFEREED PAPER (*Corresponding author)
1. Ko, H.-J., C.-Y. Lo, B.-J. Wang, R. Y.-Y. Chiou and S. M. Lin*. 2015. Theaflavin-3,3'-digallate, a black tea polyphenol, stimulates lipolysis associated with the induction of mitochondrial uncoupling proteins and AMPK–FoxO3A–MnSOD pathway in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. J. Functional Foods 17: 271-282.
2. Senakoon, W., S. Nuchadomrong, R.Y.-Y. Chiou, G. Senawong, S. Jogloy, P. Songsri and A. Patanothai. 2015. Identification of peanut seed prolamins with an antifungal role by 2D-GE and drought treatment. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 79: 1771-1778.
3. Hoang, N. X., S. Ferng, C.-H. Ting, W.-H. Huang, R. Y.-Y. Chiou and C.-K. Hsu*. 2016. Optimizing the initial moromi fermentation conditions to improve the quality of soy sauce. LWT – Food Sci. Technol. 74: 242-250.
4. Huang, F.-L., R. Y.-Y. Chiou, W.-C. Chen, H.-J. Ko, L.-J. Lai and S.-M. Lin*. 2016. Dehydrated Basella alba fruit juice as a novel natural colorant: pigment stability, in vivo food safety evaluation and anti-inflammatory mechanism characterization. Plant Foods Human Nutr. 71: 322-329.
5. Lai, T. Y., J. C. Chang, R. S. Chen, C. D. Chu, C. Chu, H. F. Ni and R. Y.-Y. Chiou*. 2016. PCR detection of Botryosphaeria rhodina as a biotic elicitor in enhancement of trans-resveratrol and trans-piceid biosynthesis of peanut kernels during germination. Open Access J. Agric. Res. 1(2): 000111.
6. Weng, B. B.-C., Lin, W.-S., Chang, J.-C. and R. Y.-Y. Chiou*. 2016. The p hytoestrogenic stilbenes, arachidin-1 and resveratrol, modulate regulatory T cell functions responsible for successful aging in aged ICR mice. Intl. J. Mol. Med. 38: 1895-1904.
7. Chiou*, R. Y.-Y., P.-C. Chiu, J.-C. Chang, J.-C. Li, C.-W. Hsieh, J.-Y. Wu, S.-M. Lin, Y.-L. Lin and B. B.-C. Weng. 2017. Discovery of new stilbene antioxidants of the bio-elicited peanut sprout powder (BPSP) and longevity extension of mice fed with BPSP-supplemented diets. Food Nutr. Sci. 8: 141-162.
8. Lai, L.-J., L.-M. Chiu and R. Y.-Y. Chiou*. 2017. Fresh preservation of alfalfa sprouts and mushroom slices by soaking with thymol and resveratrol solutions. Food Sci. Nutr. 2017: 00: 1-8. ( DOI: 10.1002/fsn3.458)
9. Lai, L.-J., F.-L. Huang, P.-H. Cheng and R. Y.-Y. Chiou*. 2017. SDS-PAGE detection and proteomic characterization of glycation-sensitive bovine serum albumin peptides and referenced in comparison with human serum albumin. Intl. J. Clin. Nutr. Diet. 2: 123 (https://doi.org/10.15344/2456-8171/2017/123).
10. Ko, C.-Y., Y.-J. Lai, Y.-M. Zeng, R.-H. Lin, J.-R. Deng, R. Y.-Y. Chiou and S.-C. Wu*. Stilbenes: A potential preservative for sausage products. J. Food Process. Preservation. Sep. 2017. DOI: 10.1111/jfpp.13456.
11. Chiu, P.-C., Y.-J. Li and R. Y.-Y. Chiou*. 2018. Peroxidase characterization isolated from germinated peanut embryos (GPE) and application of the freeze-dried GPE powder as enzyme source for biomimetic production of δ-viniferin. Process Biochem. 66: 97-105.
12. Ferng, S., W.-H. Huang, C.-P. Wu, Y.-T. Lu, C.-K. Hsu, R. Y.-Y. Chiou and C.-H. Ting*. 2019. A Controlled fermentation environment for producing quality soya sauce. Advan. Technol. Innov. 4: 11- 20.
13. Ferng, S., I.-H. Wu, A.-Y. Li, C.-K. Hsu, R. Y.-Y. Chiou and C.-H. Ting*. 2020. Ultra-violet treatment for fermenting low-salt soya sauce. Proc. Eng. Technol. Innov. 15: 35 – 41.
14. Cheng, P.-H., P.-C. Chiu, J.-C. Chang, S.-M. Lin, Y.-J. Li, D.-Y. Lo, L.-R. Lai, S.-C. Wu and R. Y.-Y. Chiou*. 2021. Inhibition of testosterone-mediated benign prostatic enlargement of orchiectomized Sprague-Dawley rats by diets supplemented with bio-elicited peanut sprout powder (BPSP) and three new BPSP-extracted natural compounds identified. J. Functional Foods 79 (2021) 104383.
（Ｂ） CONFERENCE PAPER
1. Chiou, R. Y.-Y. 2016, 10, Chemical and toxicological characterization of bio-activated peanut sprout powder applied as dietary supplements to extend mouse longevity. The 15th International Conference on Food Processing and Technology. Rome, Italy.
2. Chang, Z.-C., P.-C. Chiu and R. Y.-Y. Chiou. 2017, 7, Hydroxylation of resveratrol in biomimetic production of piceatannol by use of peanut embryos as enzyme source. The 49th Annual Meeting of American Peanut Research and Education Society, Albuquerque, NM, USA.
3. Cheng, P.-H., R. Y.-Y. Chiou, J.-C. Chang, S.-M. Lin, Y.-L. Chang and D.-Y. Lo, 2017, 7. P rostate weight changes of the orchiectomized Sprague-Dawley rats as affected by dietary supplementation with bio-elicited peanut sprout powder. The 49th Annual Meeting of American Peanut Research and Education Society, Albuquerque, NM, USA.
4. Chiou, R. Y.-Y., C.-W. Hsieh, T.-Y. Chen, Y.-J. Li, P.-C. Chiu, K.-J. Li, J.-Y. Wu, S.-P. Learn and C.-C. Wu, 2020, Microbiome and chemical assessments of miso inoculated with Akkermansia muciniphila for fermentation. 2020, 10, International Conference of Biotechnology and Healthcare, Chiayi, Taiwan, ROC.